Skip to content


Fold alle afsnit ud
Fold alle afsnit ind

What can be handled by the consulates from 1 January 2012?

After 1 January 2012 the Honorary Consulates can still extend the validity of passports, issue emergency passports and receive applications for passports for children below the age of 12.

A condition for extension of an expired passport is that it expired no longer than three months ago. A passport can only be extended once and only for the period required for the journey and for a period not exceeding one year. We recommend that you make sure that the authorities of the country or countries you plan to travel to recognises extended passports.

An emergency passport is issued with validity limited to the period required for the duration of the journey and rules of the countries to be travelled through, and for a maximum of 12 months. An emergency passport must be rendered to a Danish municipality or to a Danish mission abroad after use. Travelling with an emergency passport may cause problems with other countries’ border controls. Therefore, we recommend that you make sure that the authorities of the country or countries you plan to travel to recognize emergency passports.

Can I get a new passport during my holiday in Denmark?

Yes. Already today it is possible – and cheaper – to get a passport with a municipality (kommune) in Denmark. All Danish citizens can apply for a passport at the Civil Service Centre (Borgerservicecenter) in any municipality. It is not necessary for you to reside in or in other way be attached to the municipality. You may wish to call beforehand for information on opening hours, booking of appointment etc. and inform them that you reside abroad. Processing time for an ordinary passport is approximately 10-14 days. The Civil Service Centre can issue an express passport faster than 10-14 days and an extra fee will be charged.

We recommend that you apply for a passport during your stay in Denmark well ahead of your departure, in order to receive the new passport before you leave Denmark. Another option would be to make an agreement with the Civil Service Centre so that they will send your new passport to be handed out at the Embassy in Athens or one of the Honorary Consulates. A fee will be charged for the service at the Embassy or Consulate.

Must I present myself at the Danish Mission which issued my passport to have it handed over to me?

You may require at the mission that issued your passport whether it is possible to have the passport sent to you, but you must be aware that the old passport must be handed in for cancellation, before the new passport can be delivered to you. If you prefer to have your new passport sent to you by special delivery, there will be a additional charge to cover postage. 

Must I bring photos for the passport?

No. With the new biometrics equipment the mission can take photos for the passport. So if you apply for an ordinary passport you do no longer need to bring photos after 1 January 2012. If you apply for an emergency passport you must bring 2 photos. If you hand in an application for a passport for a child under the age of 12 at a consulate, 2 photos must be handed in with the application.

Children: We recommend to bring a new photo of the child which meets the requirements for passport photos.. The photo can then be scanned by the mission if it is not possible for us to take a photo of the child that meets the requirements.

Can I apply for a biometric passport if my finger is injured?

That depends on the extent of the injury. According to the law biometric data must always be contained in a biometric passport. This means that if for example your whole hand is covered by plaster or bandages, only an emergency passport can be issued to you. However, if only the index finger is injured a biometric passport can be issued. In that case fingerprint will be taken of an alternative finger. 

Must children also give their fingerprints?

Fingerprints are not collected from children below 12 years of age, but they still have to appear in person in order to apply for a passport. Applications for passports for children aged 12-18 can only be handed in at the missions that issue biometric passports.

Digital consent for a passport to your child

You can give digital consent for a passport to your child if you have a Danish CPR number and NEM-ID. Your child does not need to have a Danish CPR number.
Give digital consent here

Once you have filled the consent form and signed with your NEM-ID, you can print a receipt. We will also send the receipt to your digital mailbox (e-box). The consent is valid for 90 days.

Can my child be included in my passport?

No. Since 1 October 2004 children, also newly borns and children without names, must have their own passport. A mission may issue a temporary (emergency) passport if you are in urgent need of a passport. Se above on emergency passports.

List of missions which can issue biometric passports

Fold alle afsnit ud
Fold alle afsnit ind